Monday, January 28, 2008

Color Therapy

How hard is it to make a background for an ATC? Rocket science, from the looks of my studio, and I'm still not pleased with it! I have this idea, bursting with lively blues and greens, but it's just not happening.

I close my eyes. Pick a color. Scribble a line. But I can't even choose the background material or the mediums...and trust me, I've mixed a lot in the last day. Canvas and fabric and watercolor paper and acrylic and dyes and pastels and funky rusty findings - with the aftermath of cutting boards, tools and adhesives all over one of my tables. Good grief. I should be counting my blessings I have so much space to spread out on.

I'm trying too hard and it's bumming me out. I'm frightened to be discovered a BAD artist. Or not worthy of calling myself an artist, or for a 'real' artist to label me an inferior or imagined 'self-taught' one. 'crafter', though I see neither as derogatory, only the attitudes I know exist - but that's another posting...heck, I haven't even got around to putting any pictures of my stuff on here yet.

My favorite pieces are the ones that challenge me, artistically, and, most often, VERY personally. Artistically, I get a kick defying the directions on a product: "Not suitable for fabric". Oh yeah, you should see my apron. "Do not dilute"...And yes, I do regret that I've inhaled a little more embossing powder than needed, but hey, I was MAKING something!

Back to the ATC background challenge...Why is this challenging me? Methinks it has a number of reasons, so I'll offer them here to ponder and see what I think down the road. First, I'm still new at this empty nesting routine. It's anything but routine, and my research shows I'm not alone. I'm rediscovering who I am. I'm not a stay-at-home-mom in the standard sense. I no longer own a paper arts and crafts store. I no longer manage an office, run the neighborhood pit stop or show the scouts how to make a woven basket from a paper sack (*note - remember that one, it could use a makeover, maybe miniature with different materials). What is the challenge? I know, I'm being pessimistic. At least I'm being honest. Again, I ramble.

Color Therapy. Blue and Green lines, splashes of lime. Leave some white. Leave some white. Leave some white. Eureka, that's it! I need to LEAVE SOME WHITE! okay, don't expect anyone else to get it, but I'm gonna go leave some white...

No comments: