Sunday, January 27, 2008

Random at the Airport

Random moments - I love them! I ran across the following photos that I took last May when I was traveling to the northwest for a family reunion in Victoria, B.C.. The pics don't seem to fit with any of my scrapbooking projects, so I thought I'd use them here to (get back in the writing groove and) remind myself of the goodness in people. I had a bit of a wait at the airport on the return home. I was awash with all things fuzzy and feel-good, having giggled and sang and prayed and cried. While waiting, I wrapped my mother's hand knit maroon-pink shawl tighter around my neck and inhaled. I was bringing it to one of my daughters, a gift from her Nana that was smothered with prayers. Zoning out on the Downy-soft yarn, in the faint distance I heard my daughter playing her guitar. It wasn't a particular song, just a strumming that put me in a beautiful moment of gratitude for my husband, children, sisters and parents. I decided to 'follow the song', and was led to these two young gentlemen. I just had to listen. At first, I inconspicuously observed...and this is what I found:

Now ya gotta understand it wasn't easy to blend in, with this huge shawl around my shoulders. It didn't fit in my luggage, but was perfect for snuggling on the airplane. Not exactly a fashion statement, but who was I trying to impress? Trying to keep the tears from flowing, I decided to approach them. I asked if they would mind if I didn't sit a few seats away just to enjoy the music. When I started to explain that it made me think of my daughter, I just started bawling. Now I don't feel old at 43, but even now I wonder what these guys really thought of someone their mom's age bawling over their music, wearing a flannel hat, a big purplish shawl, and lola granola flip flops! As I recall, this guy was in his early twenties, married with children, military. His family is blessed - he was so nice to me, entertaining me with a variety of songs, with a special knack to come up with catchy silly tunes about anything and everything. What little I shared, he made up a song about me, about my daughter, about his life, about being in Afghanistan - he was at the same time a riot and righteous...like an angel sent to soothe my troubled heart in song.

The other guy, the one with the unruly hair and floppy hat reminded me even more of my daughter, his 'look', his style. He had his stories, as well, and it was, well, as my daughter would say, RANDOM! I spent probably a half-hour listening, then it was time to board.

I just chuckle to think back at the scene. How many people walked by, wondering if I was going to begin swinging my shawl around, dancing barefoot while one guy sang and played and the other did a drum-beat on the seat?

I could see my mother doing that. I could see my Grandma doing that. Why not I? I shall find my song, I shall dance in my dreams! (If anyone knows these guys, please tell them I'd like to thank them again for that random moment - they are proof positive of kind people in this world).

No comments: